companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Saturday, January 9, 2016

Chicken in Mole Sauce--Crockpot Style



We got our first real snowfall of the year today. Yes, it did change my plans for the day, but that was not too bad a thing. I got a jump on my weekend prep for meals. (and a strong start on the February Diner News) This was just the thing I needed to warm me up today. Nice and spicy! Chicken in Mole Sauce. The sauce is complex, for sure, but not at all hard to put together. If you have never made or enjoyed a Mole sauce, you may be surprised to learn that chocolate is an important ingredient. The sauce is a little sweet, and a little spicy. Both hot spicy and cinnamon and clove spicy. I loved this! My kitchen happens to have guajillo chile powder. That can be hard to find, but you can sub with an additional tsp of regular chili powder. The guajillo I have really adds some heat, so if you like it spicy better plan on a shake or two of cayenne or red pepper flakes too. If not, the plain chili powder will make this much more kid friendly. My big kid--the hubby--would find my version too spicy. Good thing for him I made three crockpot meals today. Yes, I am that crazy gadget lady that owns 4 different slowcookers.

The crockpot made it easy-peasy. Maybe this is not as striking as the rich mahogany colored sauce ladeled over a sizzling breast of chicken, but I am more into easy than fancy. I did bother to grab my pretty plate and placemat for the photo. That shows how much I love a theme! Speaking of which, this will be in my slow cooker themed Diner News for February.



Chicken Mole


14 oz canned diced tomatoes
2 tbsp finely diced onion
1 oz unsweetened chocolate
2 tbsp almond meal
2 tsp erythritol / stevia blend sweetener equal to sugar
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 tsp guajillo chili powder
1 tsp plain chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast

Add all ingredients except chicken to the crockpot. Stir well to distribute spices. Add chicken (may be diced, but can be put in whole) Cook at low temperature for 6-8 hours. Let cool 10 minutes. Shred chicken with two forks and allow sauce to seep into the meat.
Serve with a salad. Garnish chicken with cheese and chopped cilantro.

Serves 4 as a meal with 2 cups salad w/tomato and 2 tbsp cheese
248 calories and 10 net g carb





Don't you love lazy days? So good to have them once in a while. We could have ventured out, but why? As I sit here, I am still in my loungewear, no make-up and messy hair. Love it. John is wearing mismatched clothes and I don't even care. He his cleaning his office. Woohoo. I did battle yesterday at the grocery store. I promise you, here in Oklahoma, where we don't get much snow, just a forecast of an inch or two will send everyone scurrying to the store for provisions. It's crazy how we think somehow we might get snowed in for weeks without milk or bread.( Not that I buy those things)

Whatever the weather in your part of the world, enjoy!

Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

 Order any of our great cookbooks at  http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php

Order my original e-book or the latest version for couples and singles,  A Table for Two here.

8 comments:

Tanya said...

Does the net carb count include the salad with tomato?

Lisa Marshall said...

That is with one tomato divided among the four servings. If you at a whole tomato, it would go up a little bit.

Joan said...

I am making this today... just for me. I am making enough to freeze... my husband does not like real hot either. Thank you for all the great recipes!

Word Woman said...

Can I substitute something that doesn't have nuts for the almond meal? I am higher allergic

Lisa Marshall said...

I think it would be fine to leave out the almond meal. If you can have seeds, sunflower seed kernels would be fine as well.

Unknown said...

Is it 10 net carbs per serving?

Unknown said...

Is it 10 net carbs per serving?

Unknown said...

It looks like it's 10 net carbs per serving including the salad and cheese...she didn't break it down to say what it is by itself though.