companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Monday, November 23, 2015

Pumpkin Cheddar Cauliflower Mash




 I just made my first two Thanksgiving side dishes. They are not for my family, but for a luncheon at school tomorrow. Not all of my students will have a nice big meal on Thursday. So we as the staff are providing some love in the form of food. I think it will be fun, and then we can play some games. Being a small school, we are a lot like family.

This pretty dish is from the October Diner News. That issue featured all things Pumpkin. This dish is tasty and easy to prepare. This is a rather light version, as I am a little calorie conscious these days. For a holiday feast, feel free to up the butter and cream cheese.

Pumpkin Cheddar    Cauliflower Mash
1 head cauliflower
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
1 oz cream cheese
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 tbsp butter
2 tsp salt

Steam cauliflower until tender. Drain very well and pat dry with paper towels. Mash lightly. Stir in pumpkin puree, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, butter and salt. Whip with an electric beater until smooth. Or, for extra smoothness, blend with an immersion blender.  Transfer to serving bowl and garnish with fresh or dried herbs.
Serves 8 : 148 calories  5 net g carb


This is a  nice alternative to mashed potatoes. With the addition of pumpkin--canned is fine--it is so pretty too. If you are still looking for Thanksgiving recipes, be sure to look in both the October and November issues of the Diner News. If you don't have s subscription, by all means get one now. If you want the November issue too, just drop me a line on the webpage after you make your order and I can arrange that. Need to see what's in each issue? Check the blog posts here and here. To order the Diner News, visit our webpage.


As you may know, my husband was recently laid off from his job of 27 years. I have always tried to keep this blog just about my efforts to keep my diabetic husband fed and healthy. Of course, I have promoted my own e-book and the Among Friends series. I do give so many recipes away for free, though. To earn a little money back, John and I decided to become Amazon Associates and open a 24/7 Low Carb Diner A-Store. Click on the link at the right and you will find products I use and find very helpful in my low carb kitchen. Any purchase you make there will help our family weather this tough time and offset the costs of the blog and online ordering system. Right now, I only have kitchen items listed, but I will be planning food and pantry items soon. 

If you want to know why I like each item, check the Things I Love page. 



But for now, I am off for more Thanksgiving cooking and getting the special Christmas issue of the Diner News ready for next week. I fed one of the party desserts to my son tonight and he loved it. Keep watching and check out that Diner A-Store. Have a blessed Thanksgiving! I am thankful for you, my readers and so much more.


2 comments:

Alicia said...

This sounds absolutely delicious! I'm planning to make normal cauliflower mash for my Thanksgiving meal but I don't know, I'm really thinking this might be better and more elegant and look like something gourmet! Thanks for sharing and I'll let you know if I try it!

Unknown said...

Sounds Amazing! Thank you so much for the recipe. I hope you had a blessed Thanksgiving.