companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Friday, June 6, 2014

Layered Taco Salad with Crockpot Taco Beef and Other Big News!


It is summer, and I am busy on an exciting new project. I have a few weeks off from school. A few life changes too. With my empty nest unfolding, everything seems so different. In accordance, my traditional Diner system is undergoing some changes too. No boys to feed anymore. Prep days just don't have to be as involved. I am reorganizing my system to fit the needs of singles and couples rather than families.

As I am working things out, I am putting together a new Diner e-book on this smaller scale. Hopefully, I will get that formatted very soon and put it up for sale. I have needed another source of revenue to keep the rent paid for my school, and I am hoping this will do the trick. We are aiming to have it available for a download like the original book and Kindle as well. All that is keeping me busy! So much for summer break--but then, I have never been the type that is able to relax without a project of some sort.

So you don't forget me, I am adding a couple of recipes from the May issue of the Diner News. I love this shortcut of making Mexican Crockpot Beef. It is the easiest way to have this delicious taco meat filling for all sorts of meals. Tacos, casseroles, omelets and scrambles, quick chili and my absolute fav--Layered Taco Salad. This version makes individual salads in personal trifle bowls. You can make a bigger bowl if you have a bigger family. The Crockpot Taco Beef makes three pounds worth. For a big family, eat it all at once. For a smaller family, the planned leftovers are fabulous to freeze. I love having a package of this in the freezer. The meat is extra moist and tender too. You can add in half turkey too if you prefer.



Crockpot Taco Beef
3 lb ground beef
1 cup water
1 tsp salt
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp Mexican oregano

Place beef in the base of a crockpot. Break it up with a spoon. Add water and cook on low for 5 hours. Drain fat and water from the meat. Stir in spices and return to the crock for another hour. (If you are in a hurry, you may skip the additional hour of cooking)
Serves 12: 303 cal  24 fat   .5 carb  20 protein

a simple Taco Salad or go for the layered version


Layered Individual Taco Salad

Layer in order:
Shredded lettuce mixed with fresh cilantro
Diced tomatoes
Shredded cheese
Sliced jalapeno
Sour cream
Crockpot Taco Beef …       plus garnishes
Also consider adding red onion ,  black olives and avocado chunks


 Carbs will vary with the mixture of veggies you choose. This recipe can be a party favorite if you make the layered salads in smaller solo plastic cups.

There you have it. A little bit from the Mexican themed May Diner News. Every issue has recipes and tips that I don't share here on the blog, so order if you want it all! More exciting news--the hubby is finally getting the 2013 Diner News Bundle ready to order! So if  you would like to get a full year of the Diner News at once, just order here. A year is just $6--current subscription or a bundle of years past. And as usual, all my profits go to keep my school running. Be watching for the news about the new e-book too. So much to do!

If you would like to order a year of the Diner News, just head on over to our website.  It is a new theme every month. June is dedicated to picnic foods and has some great ideas.
http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com/html/newsletter.html


Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

 Order any of our great Low Carbing Among Friends cookbooks at  http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php

3 comments:

Pennie S said...

Looking forward to your new e-book! We, too, are empty-nesters now and I'm still adjusting to cooking for two.

Retta said...

Have been so busy that I'm just getting around to reading the latest Diner News. Can't wait to make the Sammie Bread and the Cauliflower Ranch Salad. Yum!

And the new format for couples sounds great. Even though I most often just freeze all the leftovers, sometimes it's nice to cook closer to the amounts for just us two. A few leftovers are great, but huge amounts can get... repetitive... after awhile. :-D

Sounds like you'll be having a busy summer.

Unknown said...

Hi, this recipe sounds delish! :) how many net carbs does it have if prepared as you have written?
thanks so much!