companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Sauteed Kale Salad

Whew! I am cooking up a storm this weekend. Well, maybe cooking is not the right word, but my kitchen is a disaster. I have about 5 salad recipes going  at once in there. I am getting the Diner News ready to go out for August. Frankly, even with a bout of cooler than normal weather around my parts, I know that for most of us, August is not a month to spend a lot of time standing over the stove. My apologies to those of you in the southern hemisphere. I actually envy you because I hate the heat of summer.

My home town had a nice little storm the other night, and much of my city has been without electricity for days. This time I was among the fortunate who got my service back within  a day. Our school never lost power. My friends were not so lucky. But then most of these recipes would be fine without a stove or oven. Maybe just a grill and ice chest--an of course, that pesky trip to find a grocer that actually had fresh produce on the shelves.

So the theme is salads. Entrees, sides, lettuce-free, you name it, my kitchen has it going on. When I found my cucumber was a little too limp, I sent the hubby to the store down the street for another. He returned with three giant cucumbers. Now I am going to have to figure out something else to do with these. I have never been a huge cucumber fan, so if you have any suggestions... I have two recipes which use these, but the guys won't touch them so I usually go light on the cucumber. Maybe cucumber spa water. I have been enjoying my herb waters as of late. I adore basil water and lemon balm water.

So maybe you are wondering when I am getting to the Kale salad as promised. I actually ate this beauty a couple of weeks ago. I have been so busy with engineering camp to write the recipe down. It is hard for a history and english type to teach hands on engineering. I had lots of homework to do. Over 1000 Popsicle sticks later and at least a dozen hot glue burns, we are done with summer camps. Woohoo. Just a few things to wrap up and on to next year.

Kale is a nutritional powerhouse, but it can be a little dense and earthy. I loved the way it holds its shape when I sauteed it for omelets. I thought that might just work for salads too. It does! I paired it with some super yummy shredded yogurt cheese I found at Sprouts. It is creamy and tangy at the same time and was delightful with the kale. It is nothing like the yogurt cream cheese made by dripping yogurt, A sprinkling of toasted sunflower seeds made for an amazing combination of textures. So different from a standard salad. The recipe is in the next Diner News, but I will share it here to give you a preview of the goodies you will find in the upcoming issue.

Sautéed Kale Salad with Yogurt Cheese
  
1 bunch kale
2 tbsp. coconut oil
1 tsp crushed garlic
1/2 cup yogurt cheese*
1 cup grape tomatoes
1/8 cup toasted sunflower seed kernels


Chop the kale into wide strips and remove the tough spine. Saute kale in coconut oil for 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat. Use the remaining oil to sauté the sunflower nuts if raw. Let kale cool for 5 minutes. Divide it among 4 serving bowls.

Sprinkle with shredded yogurt cheese. Add tomatoes and sunflower seed kernels. Add a dressing of choice, a light vinaigrette is perfect to not overpower the cheese.


* You may substitute any type of shredded cheese, but the yogurt cheese melts into the kale very well. 

1 comment:

Blogger said...

3 Studies SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

The meaning of this is that you actually get rid of fat by eating coconut fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 studies from big medicinal magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!