companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Roasted Ratatouille with Sausage

This is so delish, I don't even miss the cheese. That is saying something for me! Since I am giving up all dairy for the month, that is a testimony for sure. I have such a hard time going dairy free. I am doing it though, and this dish makes it easier.

Italian sausages are best here--but those are hard to find without corn sweeteners and fillers added. Brats will work--just add a little Italian seasoning.. I use Premio Zia Sausages from Sam's Club.  No fillers or sugar. The other option is to use a pre-cooked Italian chicken sausage like Archer Farms All Natural. Those are pre-cooked, so if you choose those, skip that step. In order to bypass the sweetener, I needed to use brats, and added some fennel for that sausagey flavor. I know, that is not actually a word, but I like it better than perfect grammar.And I wanted that fennel signature. Where there is a will...

I have never been a huge eggplant fan. Kinda spongey to me and Ihate going through the salting and drying technique. This is a good filler though, and it is amazing to see how fast the egggplant soaks up the olive oil. I used a garlic flavored oil, so I know the flavor is in there! To keep my eggplant from becoming little sponges that feel oddly squishy between the teeth, I opted to roast the eggplant separately at first to dry it out a bit.  I am not certain this was necessary, but I can say that I like the recipe made this way.  If scrunchiness doesn't bother you, then feel free to skip the roasting step too. See, I am making this easier for you in so many ways!

I really do have a no brainer reaction to add cheese, but it is not necessary. A little splash of balsamic vinegar might be nice. Or some red pepper flakes for some heat. Versatile recipe, no? If you want to fill it out, you could add zucchini also. I did not, so there. Another step saved  .

Roasted Ratatouille with Sausage

1 large eggplant
3 low carb Bratwurst sausages, or sausage of your choice.
1 green bell pepper
1 small onion
1 can diced tomatoes
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp  Italian Herb seasoning
1/4 tsp crushed fennel seeds
salt and pepper to taste

Dice eggplant, leaving skin intact. Sprinkle salt over the eggplant and toss it with 1 tbsp olive oil. Roast in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. While that is cooking, roast the sausages in another pan.

Chop the peppers and onions into large bite size pieces. Remove the eggplant from the oven and stir in the pepper and onion. Add the remaining tbsp of olive oil and return to the oven for 15 minutes. While that is cooking, cut the cooked sausages into bite sized slices.  Set aside.

Remove the vegetables from the oven and stir in the can of diced tomatoes, garlic, Italian herbs, crushed fennel seeds and sausages. Stir to combine. Return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve. 4 Servings have about 7 carbs if using a 0 carb sausage, 8 if using a 1 carb sausage.

This is going to be one meal today and a couple of lunches for me at school. I like to have something hot rather than a salad when the temperature barely makes freezing.  It would be good as an omelet filling too. Since I am in the midst of my prep day, better run. Got a pork tenderloin in the slow cooker and getting ready to make a sauerkraut soup with my other sausages.  We will see if that is any good. I still have salad from last week, vacuum sealed in canning jars. Those should last at least 4 more days.  So worth it! How are your New Year resolutions going?




4 comments:

Kelli said...

Great, though I varied it some, and we had cheese on it to make sure there will be less to tempt you out there. It was really easy too, and a great way to use up odds and ends veggies I had. Even the young one ate all his veggies! For that alone, thank you!

Lisa Marshall said...

Oh that cheese....it always got my boys to eat their veggies too.

Unknown said...

This is a delicious recipe, I'm making ti for the 3rd time tonight. I added young turnips with the eggplant and used bacon instead of sausage. Definitely added cheese my family loves it! Thank you!

Unknown said...

This is a delicious recipe, I'm making ti for the 3rd time tonight. I added young turnips with the eggplant and used bacon instead of sausage. Definitely added cheese my family loves it! Thank you!