companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Friday, December 24, 2010

Dark Chocolate Pots de Creme


If you have followed me for very long, you know I love dessert shots--those tiny glasses of yumminess. I love it that I don't have to serve a big dessert that no one really has room for. No one certainly needs that many additional calories. With dessert shots, you get rich, quality ingredients with no need to scrimp to save calories. True deliciousness with built in portion control.

In addition, dessert shots give the sweet addicts among you a chance to sample more than one dessert. I know I do have a hard time choosing. I have been a fan of sharing desserts for a long time when we go out to dinner. This is kinda like that.

These Pots de Creme are incredibly rich and totally decadent. Perfect for Christmas or Valentine's Day. The presentation is so pretty too. I have a selection of shot glasses and cordials I use. I purchased some espresso spoons for these at a local restaurant supply house. If you do the same, be careful when dishwashing. It was one of those tiny spoons that got caught in my garbage disposal pipe and then flooded my kitchen when the dishwasher leaked. That sure takes the fun out of things.

I used the chocolates recipe that I posted the other day for the base of this dessert. Those substitute for the chocolate chips or dark chocolate bars that most recipes use. I chose a simplified version that does not require oven baking or water baths. I did notice a tiny bit of separation in my final mixture. That may come from the coconut oil. It might not happen if you used a commercial chocolate chip, but it really was not enough to be concerned with if you are going for taste rather than perfection.

Dark Chocolate Pots de Creme

This is one of the recipes included in my new cookbook project, Low Carbing Among Friends.
This recipe is available in the book, along with over 60 additional 24/7 Low Carb Diner recipes. By ordering the book, you get more than 300 favorite gluten free recipes from four other well known low carb cooking experts…Jennifer Eloff of Splendid Low Carbing cookbook fame, Kent Altena, the Atkins Diet Geek and You Tube star, nutritionist and author Maria Emmerich of Maria’s Nutritious and Delicious Journal, and popular blogger and food stylist, Carolyn Ketchum of All Day I Dream About Food. Unlike any other cookbook you may own, this one is a compilation of mini cookbooks featuring the talents of these well known low carbers. Think of it as a “best of” project.
Low Carbing Among Friends also features recipes from numerous other talented low carbing friends and recommendations from the medical community who recognize the health benefits of low carb, gluten free living. To preorder your copy, visit http://www.amongfriends.us The official release date is 11/11/11, so pre-order now for a discount.


I am serving this tonight at our Christmas Eve sit down dinner. This is our elegant meal. We are having Cranberry Roast Beef, Onion Dipped Potatoes (yes, these are the full carb version this year, so we will go easy), Oven Roasted Vegetables with Walnut Oil. The dessert table will have a New York Cheesecake with a nut crust, these Pots de Creme and a home made Apple Pie my youngest made with his girlfriend yesterday. Our appetizers this year are Sausage Balls, Bacon Wrapped Pineapple, and Pepper Jack Cheese Curds.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday. I still have about a million things to do before I get to relax and enjoy the fruits of my labors, but I wouldn't have it any other way. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

4 comments:

Joan said...

I have some little stemmed dishes that were my grandmother's that will perfect for this! I am thinking Valentine's Day if not before!

Jennifer [To PIN/share a Post, Click the 3 dots or the Red SAVE Button] said...

Yum, that's all I can say!! Hope you have a blessed and happy New Year.

Molly said...

I made these and they were amazing, but less like pudding and more like truffles when refrigerated. I put them in small "pots" and then heated them up as I needed them. They were delicious that way too! Thanks for the great recipe!

Blogger said...

3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

The meaning of this is that you actually kill fat by eating coconut fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 studies from big medicinal magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!