companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Yucatan Spice



I love trying new interesting flavors. Tonight I tried mixing up a new spice blend. This one combines cumin--one of my favorites--with cocoa. I used it on two different meats to see how it does. First, I sprinkled it over beef fajitas. Nice flavor to perk up some beef that had already been grilled on prep day as our Triple Play choice. The smoke from the grill combined with the spices was a hit. One boy had it with on a salad witch cheese and salsa. (Please ignore the corn in that salsa--it happens to be his favorite, but is a no-no for lowcarbing) The next boy had his on some salsa rice. The third can choose when he gets home from work. That will finish off the beef. Grown boys sure can eat!


John and I had tilapia. Let me tell ya, this does wonder for that little fishy. I just sprinkled a little over some small frozen fillets and baked them in the toaster oven until they flaked. Very good. I love making this fish in the summer because it is a true E.Z. Fix meal. The toaster oven does not make my kitchen unbearably hot. On the side was some sautéed celery and green onion. I sprinkle mine with jalapeño salt for a bit of heat. John? No. He did let me put a little of the Yucatan spice mix on it though. One warning--my cayenne is getting a little old, so it may have lost some of its fire. You may want to adjust yours accordingly!

Yucatan Spice Mix

1 Tablespoon cumin
1 Tablespoon cocoa
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 packet Truvia or equivalent sweetener
1/2 teaspoon salt


Tilapia is nice light summer supper. My big boys can handle heavier dinners, but with the heat index over 110 degrees around here, I am just as glad to have a lighter meal.

2 comments:

Kahri said...

I had to laugh at your cayenne getting old. I use it on EVERYTHING so mine is never very old! That reminds me of a Rachel Ray episode I saw where she said to pick up some liquid smoke. "One bottle will probably last your lifetime." HAHAHAH. We probably go through 6 bottles a year!! apparently we like smoky, spicy stuff. :-)

Oh! And thanks for the idea of doing the tilapia in the toaster oven! Won't work when everyone is eating, but would really work when just a couple of us are having it!

Jennifer [To PIN/share a Post, Click the 3 dots or the Red SAVE Button] said...

LOL Kahri's comment is funny!

Very interesting spice mixture!

Hope you are well and happy. Have a nice day! Jen