companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Chicken and Low Cal Honey Mustard Salad


Frankenfoods alert! Yep, I avoid them when I can, but sometimes I will allow a little frankenfood into my diet. Mostly when I just can't duplicate a flavor or texture. Texture is important to me. So be it with my Pooh Bear dressing, a take off on the traditional honey mustard type. Love that stuff. Don't love the carbs in real honey or the calories in mayo. I am doing a weight loss cycle right now, so lots of fats and calories are not helpful. But that is a story for another day.

I bought this Walden Farms Bleu Cheese dressing a few months back. Not a huge fan. I think it tastes a bit like medicine. It is okay in very small doses, but I could never do a whole salad with it. It does claim to be sugar free, fat free, calorie free, gluten free, and have no preservatives. I wonder what could be in there? Mostly vinegar, cellulose gel and flavorings. Just what is cellulose gel, anyway? I don't ever remember seeing that on the shelves at the health food store. I get the feeling it is tree pulp or something. But hey, many parts of a pine tree are edible...right?

But who am I kidding? I am not an organic earth mama. We eat manufactured foods way too often. I simply don't have time to eat strictly from my organic garden. We would starve if we had to grow what we eat. I can't raise chickens or cows or even goats. I can't afford the prices to pay those who do. So, quite a few compromises make their way into our family diet. Being a nutrition purist is a full time job, and I don't have that many hours.

Enter the Walden Farms dressing. I was looking for a creamy substitute for dressings. Today, I found a good combo that both John and I liked. If you are happy with an all natural vinaigrette, GREAT. Don't change. I like those too. I just wanted something creamier today, yet sweet. This was actually pretty tasty, and has far fewer calories than my regular recipe which uses mayo.

If you are willing to ingest a bit of Frankenfood, give this a try for something different.

Low Cal Honey Mustard Dressing

1/8 cup Walden Farms Bleu Cheese Dressing
1/8 cup mustard, your choice
dash of onion powder
dash of paprika
sweetener to taste

Blend everything together and serve.


This is really too simple to be a recipe, but hey. When life is simple, it is good. I just grabbed some pre-cooked and frozen chicken patties and heated those while I made the salad and dressing. Easy peasy five minute meal. Great for a quick weekend lunch.

3 comments:

Kahri said...

love the plate/bowl! So cute!! Great dinner too. :-)

Retta said...

"Being a nutrition purist is a full time job, and I don't have that many hours."

Ha ha ha... you read my mind! I admit I am the same way. I even gave in, and bought some of the Walden Farms dressings. And got their Honey Dijon Dressing. Not bad. I got several to try.

But so far, I have been using them as a "base", and doctored them. At least it cuts the calories in half for dressings. Maybe in time I will get used to them, and slowly shift to more "nothing in there" dressings.

Frankenfoods... yep, I compromise here and there, too. LOL!

Loretta
=^..^=

Lisa Marshall said...

Kahri--Thanks. Picked the bowl up at Michaels at the end of the summer season last year on clearance. Glad to have my spring and summer colors out again. Found some cite stuff thrift store shopping this weekend too.

Loretta-- That makes me feel better, from a pro like you. I dunno, though. I don't think I will ever eat this straight!