companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

White Turkeyladas


Today I had a terrible day. Somehow I managed to misplace some mail, which in turn cost my boys some college money. Why is it my mistakes are so expensive, while those of others seem to just get shrugged off? Oh well, water under the bridge now, I suppose. My sweet youngest son wanted to run out and buy me some barbecue potato chips--my comfort food. Chocolate just doesn't do the trick for me. I abstained, but no promises tonight.

Maybe this yummy casserole will keep me filled up and away from carbs. Maybe I will learn not to comfort myself with food. That is one of the tricks to be thin, yes? Maybe you could send up some prayers that we can find our way out of this financial mess I have gotten us into.

I liked this dish. It is interesting. I got the idea from Shelly over at The World According to Eggface blog. I changed it up quite a bit, but she is an inspiring cook. Using my new blender, this went together quickly. Now if I could just figure out a way to make it without an oven!

Turkeyladas

20 ounces of sliced turkey, oblong slices, not round
24 ounces cottage cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
2 Knorr Cilantro cubes
1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
1 diced zucchini
1/4 cup diced onion
optional: one seeded and chopped jalapeno pepper

Saute onion and zucchini in a pan. While that is browning, make the filling. In a food processor or blender, blend cottage cheese until smooth. Add the cilantro cubes and chipotle powder and blend until incorporated. Add about 1/2 cup of veggies to the cottage cheese puree and blend again. Stir in 1 cup cheese to complete the filling.

Spray a large casserole dish with non stick spray. Place a large spoonful of the cheese mixture inside a slice of turkey. Top with a spoonful of zucchini. Roll up to make a short roll, not lengthwise. Place the roll in the pan. Repeat with remaining slices. (I got 18) Spread remaining cottage cheese mixture over the rolls. Top with the last half cup of shredded cheese. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit for at least five minutes. Use any moisture in the bottom of the dish to spread over the top of the meat rolls.

These were just hot enough for my pepper hater hubby. If it was just for the rest of us, I would add a chopped jalapeno pepper to the zucchini. Serves 6-8


Next time, I think I will double this recipe and make it a Multiple Meal. I will freeze the leftovers and see how they do. Tonight, I served it with a green salad, and homemade black refried beans for my carby boys. Other than one complaint from my zucchini hater, everyone liked it. John told me to make it again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa - I have said a prayer for your financial situation. I hope things improve. The paperwork involved in finding college money is so tedious and extensive I can see how it could get lost in the shuffle. One way to improve things would be for you to go out on the blogs and advertise your 24/7 system. I am surprised that every low carb site doesn't have a link to you. You have a great plan. Ask Jimmy Moore to do an interview with you. He is a very kind man.

Lisa Marshall said...

Thanks anonymous, I covet those prayers. I did do a podcast with Jimmy. It was of course, the day his site went down in May and it did not go out to all his subscribers. By the time it got fixed, there were others after me and I was old news.

He is a good guy and did a great job promoting my system. Many of the followers and Diners heard about it there. Most of the boards I am on don't let you promote a business venture or blog which is tied to one. I appreciate everyone who helps spread the word! I certainly don't have an advertising budget.

God is in control, and I'm just going to leave it all in his hands.

My hubby's doctor is supposed to be promoting the e-book to his patients, but I have no way of tracking which if any Diners are also his diabetes patients.