companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Awesome Italian Sausage Bake


I'll bet you thought that I was so busy making tie dye bunnies that my family went hungry, right? My guys will always find a way to eat. But we are still eating the good stuff because I have a plan. Just in case you wondered...

Today was an Italian Day at our house. We had Florentine Scramble for breakfast. That is eggs and spinach mixed with the Minute Sausage I already had prepared. For lunch, John had Creamy Italian Soup and leftover coleslaw. I got home from a shopping trip a bit late, and wanted to put my squash plants out. So I did. Having so much of the meal prepped gives me so much more free time. Dinner was the Triple Play meal--my Turkey Red Sauce made into Awesome Italian Sausage Bake. If you like Italian sausage, this will be a favorite. Just add in a salad and you are set to go.

This makes enough for leftovers with only three of us home. But I am happy. My big boys are coming home from college for Easter. These leftovers will be good for them to get a little home cooking.















Awesome Italian Sausage Bake
1 1/2 cups Turkey Red Sauce
5 links Italian Sausage
1 pound coleslaw mix (or shredded cabbage)
1 cup ricotta cheese
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
Parmesan cheese

Slice the Italian Sausage into rounds and brown in a skillet. Stir together the cheeses. Coat a casserole dish with non stick spray. Place 1/2 cup turkey sauce in the bottom. Spread about 1/2 of the cabbage mixture over the sauce. Top this with half of the cheese mixture. Distribute half the sausage over the cheese. Repeat the layers. End with turkey sauce. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Serves 6 629 calories 11 carbs

No comments: