companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Muffin Mania


The muffins are all done, and with four kinds from one batch of batter, there is room for everyone to have a favorite. This is what I came up with using some flavorings I had in the cupboard. Left to right, they are Burnt Sugar, Chocolate Raspberry, Maple Pecan, and Chocolate Almond.

I took the recipe for Flaxy Minis, made the basic batter using French Vanilla DaVinci syrup and the almond flour. Then I separated the batter into four bowls with about 1/2 cup of batter in each.

Flaxy Minis

2 eggs
1/4 cup oil
2 Tablespoons butter
1/4 cup sugar free syrup, any flavor
1/2 cup Splenda or equivalent sweetener
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup flaxmeal
1/2 cup almond, soy or coconut flour (if using coconut, increase water)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Flavoring(s) of your choice

Beat eggs in a medium bowl. Add wet ingredients and blend.
In a smaller bowl, mix dry ingredients. Stir into wet egg mixture.
Let batter rest for 5 minutes. If it is too thick, add more water.

Spoon into 24 well greased mini-muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until they are lightly browned.


To make today's variations:

Burnt Sugar -- add 1/2 teaspoon to 1/2 cup batter. For a whole recipe, add 2 teaspoons Burnt Sugar flavoring. I was a little disappointed in this one. It really just tastes sweet, nothing distinctive.

Chocolate Rapsberry -- This is a favorite. I added 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder and 4 drops of Chocolate Raspberry coffee flavoring, Fireside brand. For a full batch, add 4 teaspoons of cocoa powder and 1/4 teaspoon flavoring.

Maple Pecan -- Yummy with real pecans! I added 1/2 teaspoon Maple flavoring and about 2 Tablespoons chopped pecans. For a full batch, add 2 teaspoons Maple flavoring and about 1/4-1/3 cup chopped nuts.

Chocolate Almond - These are quite good. They remind me of Amaretto flavoring. I added 1 teaspoon of cocoa and 1/2 teaspoon of Almond Extract. For a full batch, add 4 teaspoons cocoa and 2 teaspoons of Almond Extract.

My hubby just got home from working an afternoon basketball game. He promptly ate one of each muffin and declared the Maple Pecan to be his favorite. The batch of muffins I bake on the weekend generally feeds us two breakfasts during the week. However, with all of our taste testing today, I don't think this batch is going to make 2 more breakfasts this week. I may be making another batch.

3 comments:

Peculiar Blogs said...

sounds great! putting them on my menu

Jessica C. said...

Where do you get your almond or coconut flour? Have you ever tried making your own? (Would it be cost effective to make our own?) I am new to Low-Carb and haven't tried any banking yet.

Lisa Marshall said...

I order mine through Netrition. I have yet to find a good source for cheaper almonds here, and I have no food processor for grinding. I have heard it is less expensive to grind your own. Here is a the address:
http://www.netrition.com/low_carb_products_page.html