companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Delta Cafe Squash Casserole

I just discovered how to make my favorite dish from the Delta Cafe! I was modifiying a recipe for "Hashbrown Casserole" that I found on the Stella Style site. I didn't have a spaghetti squash, but I did have three of the acorn persuasion. They persuaded me to try it. OH! SO GOOD! (if you like squash) Even though I will be taking this to Thanksgiving tomorrow, I had to try some. Now it is my lunch and there will be less to share.

Delta Cafe Squash Casserole

3 large acorn squash
1/2 onion, diced finely
1 cup sour cream
2 1/2 cups Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
salt and pepper to taste

Place whole squash in the microwave for 6 minutes. This will make them easier to cut. After cooling slightly, cut them in half and remove the seeds and most of the stringy pulp. Place them cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for about 40 minutes at 300 degrees. Let cool. Scoop out the pulp into a mixing bowl. Add onions, sour cream and 2 cups of cheese. Transfer this mixture to a casserole dish. Salt and pepper and top with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges.

Happy Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

Peculiar Blogs said...

Oh my gosh, I can't believe you put this up! You have no idea....this is like my most favorite comfort food in the whole wide world. :-) I used to order both my sides as the squash casserole. Thank you!

Peculiar Blogs said...

Hey I gave you an award, too, check it out on my blog. :-) I just love your blog. Thanks so much for last night. I loved the ideas! I went and got the pad of paper with birthday cakes on it, went to the dollar store and got the little box. We started the Jesse Tree last night (I LOVE the papers you gave me, thank you!!!) It was awesome, thank you!

Lisa Marshall said...

Peculiar,

I am so glad to read that you enjoyed the workshop. Thanks for the award, I am honored. You are such a blessing.